The last week

>> Sunday, May 17, 2009

I honestly wish I had four more months here and, if I weren't already committed to Chile and Bulgaria, I would stay.

Innovations for Poverty Action is very interested in partnering with us to start a pilot project for the chlorine dispensers here. This could be a breakthrough for chlorination in this project--we've tried chlorinating dugwells at different dosages and frequencies for years with no success--and, with the right contacts and connections, may garner the attention needed to push off the idea of chlorination in Bangladesh. I want to be here to make that happen. I've spent four months building relationships, gaining trust and respect, fighting through the frustrations of understanding how things work here. It feels like now, after that investment, I am leaving and letting slip this great opportunity to lead another project using the tools I've gained.

There are a number of friends here I'd love to spend more time with: a few are people who I know I will keep in touch with for a long, long time and meet up with in New York or Boston or some other city on the other side of the world years from now. They are the people who have made Bangladesh what it is for me, and as much as the work, they are what make me want to stay. I've started getting into the social scene a lot more--this weekend, went to a few fabulous parties, one at this sleek new club (yes, a club in Dhaka!!) that opened up at the Regency. I met friends before, walked in and knew a surprising number of people, danced, chatted... there have been some great nights and days to remember.

All that said, I can't WAIT to see my parents and friends in San Diego, and then the Bellolios and other friends in Chile, and BFTF friends in Bulgaria. And of course, dear old Harvard and all the wonderful, wonderful people that have defined the past two years. Legit Mexican food, In-N-Out, carmenere, driving, fast internet, shopping, movie theaters, and summer dresses are also all on that list.

Cheers to the last week.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP