Dhaka Community Hospital (DCH) and four foreigners
>> Friday, January 30, 2009
(snippets from personal journal, 1/29)
Woke up surprisingly refreshed this morning, breakfast was brought to my room. Paratha (kind of like scallion pancakes sans scallions) and fried eggs with the yolk runny. It was delicious. My travel nurse probably would not have approved of that meal, but hey, here I am and no salmonella poisoning still!
I met Mostofa, Jabed (Bidut), and Mahiuddin in person. They are the people who I will be working most closely with, the ones most involved with the
Mostofa will be my direct supervisor—we have gchatted and Skyped much, he has admonished me for staying up til 2 am in
for the cyclone last year (?) and also
Mahiuddin works mostly with the David Christiani and Molly Kile on the Harvard School of Public Health project which deals with biological aspects of arsenicosis. He is a biochemist, and introduced me to Sukchander and Joya, two women who work in the environmental chemistry lab at DCH. Joya and I talked for a while: she is recently married to her sweetheart of ten years. I may have cited her paper 183234 times in my final anthro(1825) paper. Word.
Jabed has the nickname Bidut, which means electricity. I wrote in my notebook what he does but can’t remember at the moment.
They took me on a tour of the hospital. It is, in comparison with
The waiting rooms have a stench of disinfectant, that smell I hated as a kid. In the
The Aussies are very nice, and invited me to the Australian Club where they go to drink and relax every Thursday. There are two of them: David who does nursing education, and Michael, who teaches English to the hospital staff. They’re both here funded by AusAid, and are part of a group of about 30 in
It was so comforting to be able to speak English at a normal speed and make jokes with people. It’ll be a nice balance to have them here. Would definitely like to join them at the Australian Club next week, and maybe will branch out to the American Club. Somehow, I don’t think there is a Chinese Club. The Aussies and Steve are traveling to the mangrove swamps down south where there are tigers next weekend. Maybe I will go!
