On good samaritans and the Schlesinger library
>> Sunday, January 25, 2009
Two fantastic things.
1) Carrying about eight cardboard boxes through the Square in little heeled boots was an adventure. At one point they flew all over the street and into the snow, but this very nice man helped me pick them up and carried some for me all the way to the shuttle.
On that note, many people react to me going to Bangladesh with "good for you! That's really nice of you!" I think it is probably more nice of them to have me at this point--I just hope that a couple of months down the line I can make some kind of contribution that would warrant those comments.
2) The Schlesinger Library-- in Radcliffe Yard.
So Aley always talked about this and I finally went because I needed a Mintz book ("Tasting Food, Tasting Freedom," and let's not even talk about what for...) It was my first time in a research library. You go in, put everything in a locker save for your computer and charger or a notebook, and go upstairs to the reading room. You give your book request on a slip to the librarian and sit down--in this gorgeous, high-ceiling stained glass afternoon sun spilling in room. Your books are brought to you along with a book stand, almost like a meal at a restaurant. I was mad productive there, and the place was just beautiful.
All you quadlings should check it out, just know you can only bring papers up, none of your own books.
In other news: My roommate won her dive meet!! For one meter and placed second in three meter -- so proud of you Mariss!
Slapping the conclusion on this baby [that which we shall not name, not this blog] now and then brunch, lunch, and packing/hanging out with some fabulous people.
Out.
