blessings, frustrations, and Al-Jazeera

>> Sunday, February 1, 2009

By the way, I'm watching Al-Jazeera news while writing this. From DC (some lady, not sure who): "First of all, the United States is going to make it clear that we are strong allies of the Palestinian people. I'm not going to pretend that we're not also strong allies of the Israeli people." Awkward, but okay. It's one against two--this blonde lady, who is getting a little unnecessarily excited--versus some old man from London and a passionate lady from Amman (Jordan). The American is floundering, our government is starting to look foolish. And so it goes. It's really interesting to see this other perspective--we hear and read about Al-Jazeera news, and for me, it's always been cloaked in mystery and exoticism. It'll be fascinating to be here, in the Muslim world, in the first months of the Obama administration and see how public opinion on him will form.

Blessings:
1. Prathama's parents are absolutely wonderful. I can't even begin to express how comforted and thankful I am to have them.

2. I feel very well taken care of by Mostofa and the others I work with.

3. Internet.

4. A realization: At Dubai airport a couple of days ago, I have to admit what was going through my mind was not excitement but a slight sense of dread. I couldn't help but think forward to the time when I would once again be in this airport with its shiny clean stone floors, designer perfumes, and luxury. Would I miss these things? Would I actually go through four months in a developing country where I'm working as the sole American (or Chinese, I kind of waver between the two here) in this organization? I don't feel that way any more. I think I've found some kind of balance between work, on this issue I feel strongly about, with people who also believe we can make a change, and a social release in the form of the expat clubs (Australian, American, etc.) and having a different place and world to go to with Prats' parents and friends who I'll meet soon.

5. Street food. is SO good.

Frustrations:

1. Language: I keep starting to speak in Spanish, or thinking of what I would say in Spanish, or what I would understand if only the people were speaking Spanish. Or Chinese. The people I work with, as Anusha warned, don't speak English fluently. It's enough to communicate, but not to get across any subtleties.

2. A lack of a sense of time. Worse than in Chile, and that's saying something.

3. Language.

But all in all, I think that tilts toward the positive. The language barrier will make this a very different experience than Un Buen Comienzo (Chile) or any other project I've worked on, but I remind myself that the completely new culture is part of this experience. I want to learn as much Bangla as quickly as possible because even just a few words of hello, where are you from, what do you do, have been great openers and making an effort brings you immediately so much closer to the people you're interacting with.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP