Dinner conversation + snippets of life
>> Tuesday, February 3, 2009
The former, fantastic. I will miss him when he goes.
The latter:
1. I am sitting here in my room by [citronella] candlelight, listening to Wicked and gchatting. The past two nights I have fallen asleep watching the Office. This is really not a bad life.
2. On the other hand...you know that I am terrified of creepy crawly things. I freaked out last night when I found a small cockroach stuck in my mosquito net. You can imagine my horror when I spotted a white lizard scuttling across my wall, onto my bed. Suhaz was in the room helping with my internet, and assured me "don't worry, he's a gentle creature." All I knew was that gentle creature needed to get the FUCK off my bed.
3. I went with Prats' mom today to buy salwar kamiz. I bought one turquoisey green and one pink. Skinny jeans are in for us--here, skinny pants for under the tunic are in. It was a really fun shopping trip, reminded me so much of shopping in China.
4. I've started eating with my hands, because that is what everyone does here. You use your four fingers as a kind of tray and your thumb as a little shovel to push the food in your mouth. Still mastering how to do this with grace. My fingers get a little puckered at the end of the meal from soaking in dhal and whatnot.
5. I wear my silver ring on my wedding finger here. To the few people who've asked, I tell the truth but there are a couple of men here with whom I will invent a fiance if the occasion arises. I think most people assume I'm engaged or married. I also don't think they realize I am 19. I'm happy to let those misconceptions rest.
6. Speaking of age: the American Club of Dhaka does not serve alcohol to those under 21. I'm obviously not going there for the purpose of drinking, but seriously?
7. It is not uncommon for men here to hold hands with each other. In a friendly, familial, completely non-sexual way.
8. Your right hand is used for eating and other clean things, your left for dirty things. Bangladeshi people can tear and eat roti pancakes all with their right hand, and they only wash that hand at the sink before and after the meal.
9. The electrical outlets in my room spark--sometimes pretty majorly--whenever you plug something in. It's probably a terrible fire hazard.
10. Bangladeshi (or Indian?) MTV is great.
