Pictures! Pabna and Sirajdikhan
>> Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Field visits, pictures here!
Am currently at the American Club, where there is beautiful high-speed internet. Oh, the glory!
Also, the glory of ham! I always miss what I can't have.
Last night was so much fun--Trivia Night at Le Saigon (who knew there would be Vietnamese food in Dhaka?) with some of the Fulbrighters and friends, including two girls from rural Indiana, and a Harvard grad. It was the first time I talked about my blockmates as "blockmates"--amazing. The Trivia Night was fascinating in that the room was mostly Bangladeshis, but Bangladeshis who must have spent some time abroad. The whole thing was in English, with questions like:
Name the city or team that plays in the Alamo Dome. (<3s to Al!)
What is the capital of the Pakistani Kashmir? (We obviously needed Jeremy or George here...oh, AL, the Academic League variety...)
Some question about Jeff Buckley.
And then there were questions on cricket. And football/soccer. And Hindi music. On which we had epic failure.
The crowd was rowdy, the quizmaster was an entertaining host, the food was delicious, and I actually bumped into some Bangladeshi friends who were also there!
I just kept thinking how you would NEVER see a trivia night in the States in... Spanish, for example, on Mexican pop culture, etc.
