Ups, downs, and retail therapy

>> Saturday, March 21, 2009

I lost so much respect for the hospital chairman this morning. I had to actually stop and ask him, "Please let me speak and don't interrupt," and that didn't work. I would start sentences, "I see, but what I understand is that--" and he would cut me off "I'm not interested in what you understand."

That's the tip of the iceberg. This was a big meeting for me: I had really hoped he would address some of my frustrations and concerns, but not only did he not begin to solve them, he refused to acknowledge them or even just listen.

But, as a dear friend has said, "We are going to come back so FIERCE."

And ain't that the truth.
On that note, I cannot wait for India!!

This weekend was interesting and fun, though. I hung out with the Australians and met guests of theirs, this American couple (polar opposites, but they get together so wonderfully) who are making a film documentary on river folk music. They spent most of last year traveling around Bangladesh and researching, and are back to do the bulk of their filming. We had Chinese food (I cooked again, it turned out really well I was so pleased!), and sat around with some of their Bangladeshi friends--a very exclusive and fascinating circle, actually, that I can't elaborate more on on a public blog because it is a conservative Muslim country--and chatted til late.

Then I came back and hung out at the American Club with a Bangladeshi friend (one of the BFFs of Piya's BF, is how I know him) which was hilarious times. He makes fun of me for going to Harvard and being Asian, I get back at him about going to school in the Midwest and being a big-shot actor... I don't think we ever had that niceties period.

I do have more depressing social commentary--I've thought about the Chittagong shipbreaking yards all week, if I were male I would seriously consider coming back to write a thesis on this. (I hate to gender qualify things, but that is the reality here.) But right now, I need to not deal with deeper thoughts. I'm leaving to go shopping and then meet Aureen for pedis. She is lovely, one of Prats' friends, and I haven't seen her for a while!

Forgive me, but fluffy luxuries, simple, familiar joys are what I need right now. I like to think that I'm pretty put together and can deal with many challenges, but the truth is that I was so hurt, disappointed, and frustrated this morning that I was bawling by the time I got to my room. I will sort through all these issues and continue the progress I've made on the project--it is going in the right direction and I'm pleased with the small amount of work that has happened so far--but sometimes you just need to get AWAY from that stress. And retail therapy has never failed me.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP